Pages

Tuesday 24 March 2015

Tsuitability

Yesterday Tsu was down for most of the day. I understand they were doing an upgrade, but some combination of circumstances, possibly involving heavy load, took it down. It seemed to be available for brief moments. There have been maintenance outages before, but I'd not seen it down for more than a few minutes.

This is obviously not a good thing for any site. People expect a site to always be available. I do not manage any busy sites, but I would expect there to be contingency plans to switch back to a working system if something goes wrong, but maybe they don't have the resources for this.

I expect everyone took a hit on their earnings for the day. Mine were down to a third of the previous day, but that's no big deal for me, and even the big guns would probably only earn a few dollars less.

I hope this will not deter people. Every business has teething troubles. They say they added more servers. I think they use Amazon S3.

Meanwhile, a new social site called 3tags has appeared recently. Their revenue sharing model seems to be identical to Tsu, but I've seen a report that people have made more per view. It's not a clone. I like that their public posts can be seen without logging in. That's not true for Tsu. I don't know if I will join. I'm lacking on time to play.

Another new site is Synereo. I'm not totally clear on how it will work, but you can currently buy into it by purchasing their 'AMP' tokens that you can use to make your content more visible there. You can buy with Bitcoin, but I don't have the funds available right now. I'll keep an ear out for opinions.

There are many social sites out there, but they have to reach a critical mass to keep going. Nobody wants to go where they won't find their friends or leave a site that already has them. I think it will take a lot to get most people to leave Facebook and Twitter. Those companies are so big that it's hard to see them failing. Mind you, Friendster, MySpace and others lost out, but I don't think they were ever that big.

We live in interesting time. There are no precedents for the modern internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment